On October 17th, we will be hosting our 4th Annual Summit at the Clare Veteran’s Center. This year’s theme is Landing Talent. This theme was chosen because it’s a consistent challenge that businesses in our region face.
Summit participants will explore employee and employer expectations and challenges, learn about available Human Resource services, and how to make Western Nova Scotia’s businesses the best places to work.
Labour force challenges are not new to Western NS and we are focused on ensuring solution efforts are aligned – that everyone is pulling in the same direction. There is no easy fix, so we want to explore the challenge from all angles. The objective of the day is to understand the challenges from the perspective of employees and employers, what opportunities exist, and possible solutions to overcome these challenges. Our agenda is set up to facilitate these discussions.
Our first panel, Workforce Challenges and Opportunities, will explore real challenges from an employee perspective. With these challenges in mind, we will explore the resources available to support a quality workforce – now and into the future.
Panel members include:
- Jill Flynn-Comeau, Youth Pathways, Tri-County Regional School Board
- Francine Thimot, Nova Scotia Works, Employment Services
- Renette Muise, Workplace Education, Labour & Advanced Education
Our second panel, Recruiting Challenges and Opportunities, will dive into the challenges employers face when trying to recruit workers. With this perspective, we will uncover challenges and resources available to business at various stages of growth.
Panel members include:
- Dr. Michel Comeau, Principle Dentist at SouthWest Dental
- Christie MacDonald, HR Manager, Yarmouth Web.com
- Kelly Lanigan-Gavel, HR Manager, Comeau Sea Foods Ltd.
After these informative sessions, everyone will participate in a hands-on shared learning activity which will:
- explore expectations and experiences of both employers and employees, learning what expectations are there and how they can align, and
- provide practical tools for planning and communication for improved understanding, leading to clarity and improved productivity.
We will of course share lessons learned in upcoming blogs!
Register for our 4th Annual Summit HERE.